For most of our known history, populations have been on a steady increase throughout the world. However, research suggests that this trend will reverse by 2050. Global population models predict that the world population will peak at about 9.73 billion around the mid-century mark, and decline to 8.79 billion by 2100.
In the study, population experts say that Canada’s population is predicted to peak in 2078, at 45.2 million people, and fall to 44.1 people by the end of the century. According to the Conference Board of Canada, though, the country’s population could reach 45 million by 2040 if annual immigration levels are consistently at one percent of the population.
The conference’s study suggests that Canada’s population growth depends on immigration, and the crucial years are from now until 2030. Canada welcomes migration. It is the country’s primary source of population growth, and there are many ways you can immigrate to Canada.
As a result, its population growth is the highest among its G7 counterparts. Migration accounts for two-thirds of that growth. Furthermore, there is pressure to maintain immigration rates from non-European sources, which will undoubtedly strengthen Canada’s ethnic diversity.
To maintain growth, encourage immigration
Last year, nearly all of Canada’s population growth came from immigration—birth rates were at 18 percent, while migration made up the other 82 percent. Researchers say that developed countries like Canada should adapt its model for maintaining growth.
High-income countries often have fertility rates lower than the replacement level. For them, the study says, liberal immigration policies are the best solution.
“This study provides governments of all countries an opportunity to start rethinking their policies on migration, workforces, and economic development to address the challenges presented by demographic change,” it said.
The study showed that Canada, Turkey, and Sweden have the highest net immigration rates. This sustained population growth, the study says, leads to an increase in the number of working-age adults in the country, which boosts economic activity.
Population growth is tied to GDP
Economic models predict that in 2030 Canada will be the tenth-largest economy in the world, overtaking Russia. Furthermore, experts say it will maintain that ranking throughout the century. Since Canada will have a steady GDP, researchers also expect it to hang onto its geopolitical power.
Researchers noted that the best way for developed countries to grow their economies, secure their geopolitical power, and be fiscally stable is by having liberal immigration policies.
Immigration experts note that such systems must be coupled with effective cultural assimilation. They warn that population decline will inevitably start mid-century, and is not likely to stop. As such, government interventions like Canada’s are necessary.
Migrants have a reliable support system
Canada is known for having liberal immigration policies. In addition to this, the country has gender-based social policies such as championing women’s reproductive rights, benefits for new mothers and their children, and women’s right to work and equal pay.
Furthermore, Canada has a progressive stance on immigration for members of the LGBTQ community. These laws present Canada as an attractive option for working-age populations.
With the increasing likelihood of a global population slowdown, researchers urge developed countries to adopt liberal migration schemes. With its secure social systems and immigration scheme, Canada will surely dominate in the latter half of the century.
Are you looking for immigration advisors in Toronto? We can help. If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-404-8472.