There is nothing more fulfilling than settling down in Canada with your spouse. The good thing is that as a Canadian citizen or one with permanent residency, you have the right to apply for a spousal sponsorship, as long as you are qualified to do so and your spouse has met the eligibility requirements. However, just be sure to submit all the required application forms and needed paperwork. On top of this is to pass the interview, which can make or break your application decision.
In this article, we’ll share with you what a spousal sponsorship interview entails so that you will be more prepared for the process.
What a spousal sponsorship is
Spousal sponsorship means sponsoring your spouse to live permanently with you in Canada. The application entails filling out a form as a sponsor and submitting it to the Canadian Government’s case processing centre.
Keep in mind that to be eligible to sponsor, you must be:
- A Canadian citizen, a permanent resident living in the country, or a person registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- In a married, common-law, or conjugal relationship
- Able to provide for your sponsored spouse’s needs, such as food, clothing, healthcare, and other necessities.
On the other hand, your spouse must:
- Be 18 years old and above
- Not have been married to anyone else at the time of your marriage
- Not have lived apart for longer than a year as a common-law or conjugal partner
What a spousal sponsorship interview entails
A spousal sponsorship interview is a vital part of the overall equation, and the ultimate goal of the immigration officers is to detect marriage fraud before the application is approved. Keep in mind that many people get married because they want to obtain Canadian permanent residence. For this reason, the immigration will try to prevent any marriage of convenience.
In most cases, you will get an invite for an interview with the immigration authorities. If you’re wondering if the interview is necessary, the answer is an absolute yes. This is why it’s essential that you come in prepared and ready.
Potential questions to be asked
To be prepared for the spousal sponsorship interview, below are some common queries you will be asked:
- How and when did you two meet?
- Did you know your spouse before you met them?
- How did your relationship develop?
- When and where did you get married?
- Who attended the wedding?
- Did you have your honeymoon?
- Where did you go for your honeymoon?
- Describe the accommodation where you both lived?
These are just a few examples. Yet, apart from these questions, officers will also ask trivial questions to determine your honesty, such as the following:
- Where was your spouse born?
- What is your spouse’s education level?
- Where did your spouse graduate?
- How many siblings does your spouse have?
- When was the last time you went on a vacation with your spouse?
- Where did you go for your vacation?
- What kind of movies does your spouse usually watch?
- What kind of music does your spouse like?
- What sports does your spouse have an interest in?
No doubt sponsoring your spouse can help your family reunite in the country. Just be sure to consider all the valuable information discussed above, particularly what the spousal sponsorship interview entails. With this guide’s help, you’ll be able to enrich your spouse by giving him or her the chance to live in the country, stay there for good, and take advantage of the many wonderful opportunities that the country has to offer!
For your spousal sponsorship application, be sure to work with an immigration agency and hire an immigration consultant in Toronto.
If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at email@example.com or call 1-888-404-8472.