If you and a partner want to visit or work in Canada, there is a way to do that. Having a study and work permit for spouses or common-law partners can be your gateway to your dream of working in Canada. Here is everything you need to know about this topic.
What You Need to Qualify for the Visa
- Must reside in Canada: You and your partner need to live in Canada for the entire duration. One should have a study permit as a full-time student at any tertiary institution in their preferred province, and the other should have a valid work permit. This permit should last for at least six months for a skilled or semi-skilled job (NOC, A or B).
Defining NOC 0, A, and B:
Jobs in Canada are classified by the NOC (National Occupational Classification) system based on the person performing the work and their enumerated duties. Here are the definitions of the 0, A, and B categories.
- Skill Type Zero: These include jobs under the management category. This could include restaurant managers, health care managers, legislators, financial and business service managers, etc.
- Skill Type A: These are jobs that require a degree from a university. They could be doctors, architects, and the like.
- Skill Type B: These are jobs that require technical skills. Their career also requires college degrees or training as an apprentice, such as chefs, plumbers, and electricians.
Browse this page to find out under which category you belong.
- No need for a job offer yet: If your worry is about job offers, it is not necessary yet. Having the study permit allows a person to apply for work in Canada, given that the position follows the guidelines set by the permit.
What Happens After You Graduate
Finishing university does not necessarily mean that you must pack your bags immediately and return to your home country. You can extend your stay in the country for additional eight months or as long as three years.
On the other hand, your partner can still stay with you as long as they have an open work permit.
The Open Work Permit:
The Open Work Permit serves as a foreign national’s permission to work for any Canadian employer for a certain period. There are open work permits that identify the kind of work permitted and the location in Canada where they can look for opportunities. These are called the occupation-restricted open permit. If you apply for an unrestricted open work permit, you are free to work any job that fits your skills in any location within Canada.
Only individuals who fit the requirements will be issued an open work permit. Here are the guidelines for your reference.
This setup is perfect for people accepted as international students in Canada in a relationship. Instead of suffering a long-distance relationship for years, the partner can search for work in Canada through an open work permit. To learn more, talk to Canadian work permit consultants in Toronto. They can assess your condition and make the best recommendations.
If you’re looking for professional help from a trusted firm, please contact us at email@example.com or call 1-888-404-8472.