The process of spousal sponsorship involves an interview stage with the Canadian Immigration. After you’ve submitted all your paperwork, you and your spouse or common-law partner will have to undergo an interview with a visa officer. It is where they’ll decide whether or not your application will continue, so you have to be well-prepared and ready to answer any question they may throw at you.
As with any interview, part of preparation is listing down questions that they may ask, along with the appropriate responses. Doing so will help you rehearse for the interview and boost your confidence at your actual appointment. Below are some sample questions that the officer may ask you, as well as a brief explanation of how the interview process works.
Breaking down the sponsorship interview process
One of the most challenging stages of the spousal sponsorship application is the lengthy interview that you and your spouse must go through. The main purpose of this interview is to verify whether your marriage is fraudulent or not and to confirm the details of your relationship that you’ve indicated on the paperwork.
The visa officer will match your interview questions with the responses you’ve previously provided during the documentation portion of the application. Before going into the interview, keep in mind the following factors:
- If the officer finds out that you’ve lied on your application or submitted fraudulent paperwork, it’s almost guaranteed that you will be considered inadmissible for your current application and maybe even in subsequent visa applications. Even if the false information was put there by mistake, being rendered inadmissible is still highly possible.
- It’s impossible to predict any of the questions the visa officer might ask. While it’s important to be prepared with responses to possible questions, the officer may still probe into further detail to uncover any likely falsehoods. If an officer deems your answers insufficient, they may ask additional questions to confirm the necessary details.
- Considering that this is a spousal sponsorship application, you can expect that the questions will revolve around your relationship with your partner, so the visa officer can determine whether your relationship is genuine.
Possible interview questions
- When, where, and how did you meet your spouse?
- Who initiated the contact?
- How did your relationship develop?
- Who proposed?
- Did you have a wedding ceremony?
- Did your family members attend?
- Which family members attended from your spouse’s side?
- Describe the ceremony.
- Do you have any pictures of the ceremony?
- Did you do a honeymoon?
- Where did you go?
- What does your spouse do for a living?
- How long have they been in their current job?
- What is their salary?
- Where does your spouse live?
- Describe the home.
- What side of the bed do you sleep on?
- What are your spouse’s hobbies?
- What kind of books does your partner read?
- What type of music does your partner enjoy?
These are just some of the questions that may be asked during the spousal sponsorship interview. If you need assistance from an immigration agency in Toronto to help you prepare for the interview, get in touch with our immigration lawyers and experts.